Family Dietetics' paediatric dietitians have skills and expertise in assessing whether children are receiving adequate nutrition. We offer individualised plans and programs to assist families in meeting a child’s optimum nutrition needs.
At your initial appointment Dr Brooke Harcourt will assess: your child’s growth, eating patterns and habits, sleeping patterns, dietary intake, daily activity levels and medical history. Goals for nutrition therapy are developed together with families and medical care team members. Progress is evaluated each visit.
Family Dietetics manage a range of conditions affecting infants, children and adolescents, including:
- Poor growth/ Failure to thrive /Weight faltering
- Healthy growth curve establishment
- Introduction of solid foods
- Fussy eating
- Food sensitivities/intolerance/allergies
- Breastfeeding and Lactation counselling
- Weaning/Formula introduction counselling
CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS
- Fussy eating and Moderate-Severe Food Restriction Disorders
- Diabetes and endocrinology conditions
- Autistic spectrum disorders and behavioural disorders
- Overweight and obesity including Polycystic ovary syndrome and Genetic obesity syndromes
- Gastrointestinal conditions including Coeliac Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Congenital Disorders including; Kidney disease, Heart Disease, Liver Disease and Cystic Fibrosis
- Metabolic disorders: carbohydrate, amino acid, mitochondrial, lipid
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Developmental Conditions including Cerebral palsy, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Eating disorders
Appointments with a dietitian are available with or without a referral.
Funding for dietetics consultation may be available via;
- National Disability Insurance Scheme, speak to your plan manager about this.
- Medicare via Chronic Disease Management plans, speak to your GP about these.
- Private Health Insurance Extra Cover, check with your insurance provider to see if you are eligible.
Dr Brooke Harcourt is an accredited practicing dietitian with advanced specialist training in paediatrics.