Family Dietetics' paediatric dietitians have skills and expertise in assessing whether children are receiving adequate nutrition. We offer individualised plans and programs to assist families in meeting a child’s optimum nutrition needs.
At your initial appointment your dietitian will assess: your child’s growth, eating patterns and habits, sleeping patterns, dietary intake, daily activity levels and medical history.
Goals for nutrition therapy are developed together with families and medical care team members. Progress is evaluated each visit.
Family Dietetics manage a range of conditions affecting infants, children and adolescents, including:
- Poor growth/ Failure to thrive /Weight faltering
- Healthy growth curve establishment
- Introduction of solid foods and First Foods
- Fussy eating
- Food sensitivities/intolerance/allergies
- Breastfeeding and Lactation counselling
- Weaning/Formula introduction counselling
- Meeting infant requirements in Vegetarian and Veganism
CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS
- Fussy eating and Moderate-Severe Food Restriction Disorders
- Paediatric Feeding Disorders
- Diabetes and endocrinology conditions
- Developmental conditions
- Accessing nutrition for persons with Autism and ADHD
- Achieving health growth curves
- Polycystic ovary syndrome and Genetic obesity syndromes
- Gastrointestinal conditions including Coeliac Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Congenital Disorders including; Kidney disease, Heart Disease, Liver Disease and Cystic Fibrosis
- Metabolic disorders: carbohydrate, amino acid, mitochondrial, lipid
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Developmental Conditions including Cerebral palsy, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder
- Eating disorders
Appointments with a dietitian are available with or without a referral.
Funding for dietetics consultations are possible via;
- National Disability Insurance Scheme
- Medicare via Chronic Disease Management plans, speak to your GP about these.
- Private Health Insurance Extra Cover, check with your insurance provider to see if you are eligible.
Dr Brooke Harcourt is an accredited practicing dietitian with advanced specialist training in paediatrics.